I’ve seen so many people talking about this show all the time, so I’ve decided to finally give it a go. We all know what the story behind 13 reasons why is, and how everything ends up, but I’d say don’t read this, if you haven’t already watched it, because there could be some spoilers (not that you don’t already know everything, but still).
Okay, so before I start I should say that of course I don’t underrate these awful things that happened to Hannah (or in fact, everything that happened to all characters), I just don’t think they are enough to end one’s life. If you don’t agree with me on this, then I suggest again you stop reading, as the things I’d put on my list would be mostly negative. I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feeling, although I’m always open for discussions. So if you are fine with everything up to this point, let’s get started.
1.First and biggest reason for me why I didn’t enjoy the show on the fullest – you simply can’t sympathize a character, who is being so annoying all. the. time. (well, at least I can’t). I mean, c’mon, yes, the things that have happened to Hannah are terrible, we all know that, but she is such a drama queen, that I just couldn’t care about her. I cared about Justin, I cared about the photographer, I cared about Alex, Zach, Skye, even Jessica a little… but Hannah, nope.
2. Everything happening on the show was so slow and tedious… I mean, an hour?? Seriously.. everything could have been said in a typical 40 minutes episode. And these annoying speeches… and then Clay being over-emotional about every single word that Hannah says.. a big nope again.
3. We were given cliffhangers and then nothing happened. ‘Don’t judge us before listening to your tape, Clay’. ‘Listen to the tape, Clay, and you’d get everything’. Okay, we’ve listened to the tape. And what happened on the tape – absolutely NOTHING.
4. What a sick person would make her loved one listen to all the tapes and start blaming himself about HER CHOICE??? That’s just the meanest and the most selfish thing ever. Especially when you are dead and you can’t let the other person explain themselves. Do you want them to live with the blame all their lives and eventually make them kill themselves too? You know, all the people listed might have some reasons to act this way, you are not the only one with high school drama issues!!
5. Too many people got blamed for doing literally nothing. The guy publishing a beautiful poem anonymously? Where it was said that it was Hannah’s? She could’ve have simply said to everyone ‘You know what, it’s not me who wrote it’. But no… let’s introduce some more drama in her lives, because we didn’t have enough already. What if this poem got famous and brought her some success? Who knew what the outcome could have been.
6. Hannah doesn’t know what she wants. First she blames Zach for staying with her on Valentines day, then she blames Clay for not staying with her at the party when she was literally screaming at him to leave her alone. I mean, fix your hormones girl, people can’t read your already messed up mind.
7. The hot or not list. She got mad about someone putting her under the best ass section. What about the people who ended up on the ‘not‘ section?? Did they started blaming themselves about the way they looked? Probably some of them developed an eating disorder? Maybe they got depressed? This leads me to point 4 – everyone hurts at some point and has their reasons to feel bad about themselves, Hannah is not the only one struggling in life.
8. She blamed Justin for letting Jessica get raped. But how Hannah knew about that? She was hiding in the closed. And what Hannah did about that? NOTHING. She could have screamed, went out of the room, asked for help, just did something. She was literally watching her best friend suffer probably the biggest trauma of her life and Hannah did absolutely nothing about it, but then had the guts to blame someone else? Are you kidding me?? How could you be such a hypocrite?
9. Reasons to live. On the last tape she said that no one cared for her. But on her way to the post office she met a guy who told her she was being missed in the poetry class. See, someone cared. But did she care? Nope.
10. Usually I watch a whole season of series for a day or two. One time I’ve watched 7 episodes of HTGAWM in a row. Do you know how much it took me to watch these 13 episodes? A week! I think that’s enough to show my general lack of interest about this whole high school drama.
To conclude: I don’t think Hannah had enough reasons to kill herself. She was a drama queen and wanted everyone to know that, even after her death. Why not simply rest it peace? Noooo, she had to make people feel bad about her even after she was gone. She was determined to die, so she did it. I don’t think anyone could have stopped her. End of story. She had a loving family who cared about her. Yes, they might have had a bit of financial situation, but how killing herself would help them fix that?
On the other hand, I almost cried about Justin, who had abusive stepfather and uncaring mother. Who got threatened, beaten, but still grew up to be a decent person. Who had dreams but no money to achieve them. Who got blamed for covering Bryce, the only person who actually helped him at some point during his life. Yes, the thing he did wasn’t good, but he felt that he owed him. Only someone being in a similar situating could have understood him. At the end Justin needed to live on the street (because no one of his ‘friends’ wanted to help him), blaming himself about Jessica, and now about Hannah. If someone had actual reason to kill himself, that would have been him.
What about Tyler? Who got bullied at school about his naked picture or in general, when he was threatened every single time he decided to talk to someone? Or Courtney, who was being laughed at for having two gay dads. To be honest, I didn’t even feel bad for Hannah when she cut her wrists. But I did for her parents when they’ve found her. Why would someone do this thing to the people who loved you all their lives… That’s what I call cruel and selfish.
Obviously everyone is being abused, humiliated, ignored, etc at some point in their lives. But that’s not a reason to kill oneself.
And it does. Life doesn’t end in high school.
Skye said it best: ‘Suicide is for the weak‘.
I’ve recently watched a movie ‘The edge of seventeen‘. Similar story, different outcome. I strongly encourage you to check it out. It’s definitely more worth it than this series. Let me know what you think about it.
Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post. Like I’ve said – I’m absolutely open for discussions. Bye x