Why smaller bloggers have influence too!

As my Birthday and st Valentine’s day were quickly approaching, I’ve been thinking about different posts ideas – something like a gift guide, or celebration essentials, or you know, anything related. At the same time, so many people are showing off their PR packages on Instagram and Youtube, that I’ve decided to contact some of the brands mentioned – obviously they have a PR budget and a campaign going on at the momentΒ  – a great opportunity, right?

Well, turns out that apart from one negative, but very kind response, all that I’m getting is… silence. Not even a ‘no, we are not interested’ email reply. And I’ve started thinking, which is worse – exposing bloggers for suggesting creative collaboration ideas (for a reference – the recent scandal around this Dublin hotel I’m not gonna name) or ignoring any attempt of communication.

Anyways, obviously brands prefer to work with ‘influensters’ with established following of a few thousand at least, but sometimes brands do not realise that we, the small bloggers, have so much to offer as well (and sometimes we do it even better). Here’s my list why small bloggers have influence too, and please let me know if you agree with me!

Numbers are not everything..

Some accounts on Instagram have an impressive following, but how many of them are active and not.. bots (probably paid)? How many real people actually see, read, like and get inspired by those famous people posts? Not all of them, I presume.

Instagram followers and levels of engagement

It’s estimated that the average rate of engagement on Instagram is only 3-6%. Anything above that is simply miraculous, especially with the new algorithm which we all hate. For example, 3-6% means that if someone on Instagram has let’s say 10k followers,Β  under their photos they may get around 300-600 likes and a few comments.

On the other hand, one of my recent photos gained 220 likes and 15 comments and with my humble 1050 followers, that makes more than 20% engagement. If that’s not impressive enough for you, I don’t know what would be.

We connect with other bloggers

Small bloggers work really hard to connect with other bloggers, and we support each other very well. We are part of such a huge network that share experiences, reviews (positive or negative), recommendations, , contacts, etc. So if any of my blogger friends says ‘I love this product and you should try it’, chances are – I really will. Not because they are famous, but because I feel personal connection and I trust them. Which leads to….

Our friends trust us

We may not have a few thousands following us, but our people are very loyal. Obviously all of my (blogger) friends and family follow me, and they always reach to me for advice or recommendation. If I share a product with them (which I don’t do very often anyways), they’ll trust me and also, we are curious, we like to try new things, and I’d prefer to buy something that some other fellow blogger loves. On the other hand – if a big influenster talks about sponsored products all the time, I’d probably think ‘yeah, that’s cute, but why should I believe them anyways’.

We go the extra mile

As we are small bloggers and don’t really get the opportunity to work with brands very often, and we give more than 100% of ourselves when we do. We spend hours on taking the best possible shot, then we edit it and try to make it look even better, then promote our posts on all social media and do everything we can to make a good lasting impression. Yes, bigger influensters also put a lot of effort in their work, but we appreciate every opportunity and never take it for granted.

Brand reputation

And last but not least, I always love seeing brands who work with smaller bloggers, alongside the big ones. It means that those brands are engaged with all types of customers and do not only target a particular group of people. They appear to me as more inclusive, supportive, and attractive to buy from.

small bloggers have influence

I’m not saying that huge instragrammers are useless and that brands should only pick people with a three digits following, but giving a chance to smaller bloggers from time to time would be rather beneficial for all parties, than anything else. I feel like bloggers who are just starting out are sometimes underestimated and undervalued, and hope brands learn to appreciate them as well.

Thank you for reading, if you can think of any other point, I’d gladly include it in my post and link it to your blog ^^

Share on
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

• Reply briannamarielifestyle

Love this!! πŸ™‚

January 22, 2018 at 3:21 pm

January 22, 2018 at 3:24 pm
  • Reply Diva Named Dom

Nope, you nailed it! I read an article that says 2018 is the year of the micro-influencer and everything you’ve listed is why!

On another note, I really despise how Instagram caps your audience at 3%. I work really hard on my photos, my stories and on my feed! I wish we had organic discovery like before; where visual creativity = exposure!

Lovely article. πŸ’•

January 22, 2018 at 3:57 pm
    • Reply Siyana

Thank you, Dom, hope they finally hear usπŸ™ŒπŸΌ

January 22, 2018 at 4:13 pm
  • Reply Ronna's Eternal Journey

Amazing post and you’re absolutely right!

January 22, 2018 at 4:15 pm

Thank you!

January 22, 2018 at 4:20 pm
  • Reply mylilsliceoflife

I think you are totally spot on with this post. I do my best to work hard at getting followers and usually most of them will unfollow at some point either during the week or a few weeks later on Instagram & here it’s very slow going cuz I don’t always post. I just hit 3K on my Instagram, but it’s taken me a long time and joining some follow trains & MUA/MUE follow trains as well, but even though the host specifies to not unfollow cuz it’s rude, they still do it. I could keep going with this, but…lol I really love this post and hope that big brands and even smaller ones might see this and reconsider how they reach out to their customers because I think it’s us little bloggers that give the best reviews where the high-end celebrities and bloggers are usually just paid to say the product is good, great, excellent and so on and so forth & then come to find out it’s not always the truth.

January 22, 2018 at 4:51 pm
    • Reply Siyana

Instagram make it really hard for us, smaller bloggers, I’ve been struggling for ages to reach a new milestone – today I gain 10 new followers, tomorrow I lose 15… It’s so hard!

January 22, 2018 at 5:00 pm
  • Reply Castanislawski

Love this article! It is so true. I feel that little bloggers work so hard. Not only writing our own blogs but also taking the time to support other bloggers. This should be taken into consideration. We go around reading more the little bloggers than the big ones.

Great work 😍😍

January 22, 2018 at 5:15 pm
    • Reply Siyana

Thank you for the support, I’m happy to find so many bloggers who think like myself πŸ™‚

January 22, 2018 at 5:42 pm
  • Reply The Emma Edit

Love the picture, I saw it on your Instagram earlier :). Great points made Siyana πŸ™‚

January 22, 2018 at 8:26 pm

January 22, 2018 at 8:30 pm
  • Reply Beautyworkers

I feel the same! Instagram – One day I have 10 more followers and next day 15 unfollows!! I’m like..what??? In the begginig, I must admit that was very confusing. But now… Another thing is that I see people that are new on instagram and in the next day, BAMM, 1M followers! It’s so unfair, I gain followers with my hard work (always thinking about good content and a lot of work taking pictures). If I didn’t like so much what I do, I think that I would give up…(but that won’t happen) πŸ˜‰ Great post! x

January 22, 2018 at 9:02 pm
    • Reply Siyana

I can’t really figure out how people grow thousands per day (organically)! There’s definitely something suspicious about it and it’s such a pity that brands only care about the number!

January 23, 2018 at 5:11 pm
      • Reply Beautyworkers

Absolutley righ! it’s great to see people talking about it, hopefully one day brands will see that too! xo

January 23, 2018 at 5:29 pm
  • Reply ladylikelaura

Love this πŸ’• you nailed it xx

January 22, 2018 at 9:09 pm

Thank you!

January 23, 2018 at 5:12 pm
  • Reply stashy

You’re so right on these points! Smaller bloggers have a good rapport with their readers and are often viewed as more trustworthy as well. I guess it’s simply a numbers game to the big brands. Sorry to hear that you’re not getting any response – how rude of them!

January 22, 2018 at 11:35 pm
    • Reply Siyana

I always appreciate when companies send a response, even if they are not interested in collaborating with me. Hopefully 2018 is more successful for us, smaller bloggers ^^

January 23, 2018 at 5:55 pm
  • Reply Sarah

Great post and I really agree. I have less then 200 followers on Instagram but each photo gets between 70 – 90 likes which is what, about 30% engagement – I’m awful at math so that might be way off πŸ˜‰

January 22, 2018 at 11:51 pm
    • Reply Siyana

You are killin it girl!!

January 23, 2018 at 6:13 pm
      • Reply Sarah

I’m surprised to see that the normal is 3-6%, that’s rubbish, especially with how amazing so many people’s Instagram are.

January 23, 2018 at 11:28 pm
  • Reply Jo Smith

Interesting post! I agree with you and your reasons – I see WordPress blogs with around 3,000 followers, but after a glance at their posts I see there are no comments and barely any likes. It all depends on how loyal your followers are lol.

January 22, 2018 at 11:58 pm
    • Reply Siyana

Absolutely, engagement is so much more important than numbers! And I see bloggers subscribe random people all the time, so that’s something to consider.

January 26, 2018 at 7:33 pm
      • Reply Jo Smith

Oh yes and I’ve been kind of wondering, would you like to do another blog collab together? Just wondering, if you aren’t planning on posting something already.

January 26, 2018 at 10:00 pm
        • Reply Siyana

I’d love to do another collab with you πŸ˜‹

January 26, 2018 at 10:02 pm
          • Jo Smith

Ok cool! I’ll email you.

January 26, 2018 at 10:04 pm
  • Reply lifeofangela

I really agree with this Siyana! There’s a bit more of that personal touch with smaller bloggers, but the big companies seem to only want to work with you if you have a massive following which is a shame.

January 23, 2018 at 3:48 am
    • Reply Siyana

Yeah, that’s true. They’ll come back to us but it’s gonna be too late hahah

January 26, 2018 at 7:52 pm
  • Reply Britney

I love the points you brought up. Like you said under “Our friends trust us”, I am more likely to buy a product from a brand if a smaller blogger (particularly one I’m friendly with) posts about it as opposed to a bigger blogger. (I also shared this post on my Twitter).

January 23, 2018 at 5:01 am
    • Reply Siyana

Aw thank you so much, it means a lot to me! Do I follow you on Twitter?

January 26, 2018 at 7:54 pm
      • Reply Britney

You might? My Twitter is juicebox07.

January 26, 2018 at 8:45 pm

January 26, 2018 at 9:09 pm
  • Reply Always Cleia

Great post Siyana! Instagram is especially annoying with it’s algorithm. Everyone hates it, why is it a thing!? It’s hard trying to grow your account with so many people follow/unfollowing, and even harder trying to get brands to notice.
    On the flip side having a smaller blog or instagram usually means your audience is more loyal and you start to lose that connection the bigger you get. It’s just not possible to interact with everyone once you have several thousand followers I can imagine!

January 23, 2018 at 8:39 am
    • Reply Siyana

Yeah probably you are right, but it doesn’t take a lot to say thank you when someone compliments your photo? Obviously they are nothing without their following, and I feel like they don’t appreciate it enough.
      But on the other hand, who am I to judge πŸ˜€ I love engaging with other small bloggers, they are the real MVPs!!

January 27, 2018 at 1:52 pm
      • Reply Always Cleia

Oh I know, I definitely appreciate when people take the time to say thank you too! I meant it might not be possible depending on how many comments you’re getting, like if you get 100+ per photo and post three times a day that’s a lot of time out of your day to reply to each one. Though people with that many comments probably aren’t small bloggers anymore πŸ˜„ Agreed!

January 27, 2018 at 11:51 pm
  • Reply whatismaria

i’m sorry to hear that brands haven’t been very responsive, they are the ones who are missing out! And I couldn’t agree more with everything you’ve said, I think that many big instagrammers and bloggers have recently lost a lot of their credibility and people are more likely to trust smaller ones. Plus, we often do posts for brands for free and our opinions are thus more likely to be authentic. Wonderful post and gorgeous photos! Xx

January 23, 2018 at 3:29 pm
    • Reply Siyana

Thank you, Maria! And I’m so happy that you managed to score a sponsor for your insta post, you absolutely deserve it!!

January 27, 2018 at 2:30 pm
  • Reply theworldoffritters

This is an amazing post Siyana, love it!!! ❀️ xx

January 23, 2018 at 7:29 pm

Thank you!

January 23, 2018 at 7:44 pm
  • Reply allthethingsliz

Yes! Absolutely adore this post 😊 I have only been on here a couple of weeks but I have seen enough to understand what you’re describing. I also admire how you took the time to put yourself out there and reach out to sponsors regardless of the -silence.- seriously, your awesome lady!

January 24, 2018 at 5:12 am
    • Reply Siyana

Thank you for those kind words, they are really encouraging!
      The blogging community is such a wonderful network, so sad brands don’t appreciate it like we do.

January 26, 2018 at 8:16 pm
  • Reply mariiacano

I loved this post! It can feel so discouraging being in this journey and feeling like you’re not being seen. It can also be hard when some are buying followers (which is crazy) and are getting the attention from brands. Something really needs to be done about that. Its fraud. Thank you for sharing this!

January 25, 2018 at 5:51 am
    • Reply Siyana

Thank you for reading! I’ve just noticed a sponsored post on Insta where a blogger had 7k followers and 160 likes on the photo. Like ok what? πŸ˜€ It’s really disheartening not to be appreciated for the hard work you put in, but hopefully this changes in 2018!

January 27, 2018 at 2:33 pm
  • Reply short-prose-fiction

Great post! Thank you for sharing!

January 27, 2018 at 2:20 pm

Thank you!

January 27, 2018 at 3:02 pm
  • Reply Gloria W.

Thanks for your thoughts. I’m new to blogging and it’s been great so far!❀️❀️❀️

January 27, 2018 at 6:16 pm
  • Reply thatgirlari

Such an amazing post, I really appreciate the bloggers that reach out and support the newer/smaller bloggers. Instagram can be the quite pain. Thank you for this post. πŸ™‚

January 30, 2018 at 5:26 pm

January 30, 2018 at 5:32 pm
  • Reply lifewithmrst

I completely agree with all of this, I feel like smaller bloggers connect more with each other and it is something brands should use, many people don’t trust the big numbers on Instagram etc

February 1, 2018 at 8:22 pm
  • Reply Amanda S

Hey! I think this is so valid. I used to think that numbers were everything, but without the numbers, I have the freedom to write about what I want to write, how I want to write. I also don’t feel “bound” to talk about specific trends/present myself in a certain way. I love the independence that I have as a blogger who is doing this just for fun. xx

February 4, 2018 at 4:51 pm
    • Reply Siyana

Well if you put out quality content that you are proud of, eventually numbers will come. At least that’s what I try to believe in πŸ˜€

February 4, 2018 at 6:49 pm
  • Reply Samantha Milburn

Great post! I completely agree with you! Thank you for sharing.

February 5, 2018 at 6:04 pm
    • Reply Siyana

Thank you for taking the time to read, lovely xx

February 5, 2018 at 6:57 pm
  • Reply jennilala

So well written! You have all my support! I agree, with a smaller community, its essential to build support within each other!

February 7, 2018 at 2:50 pm
    • Reply Siyana

Thank you, I’m really glad to meet fellow bloggers who share similar views x

February 7, 2018 at 3:00 pm
  • Reply bekabackstory

Everything you said is completely spot on! Smaller bloggers really do take time to attend to the details. As so many commenters on here have already said, bloggers supporting other bloggers really is imperative and fosters a sense of community. You’re on the right track already!

February 7, 2018 at 7:05 pm
    • Reply Siyana

Thank you, I’m doing my best to support other bloggers! πŸ™‚

February 7, 2018 at 7:11 pm
  • Reply thestubbornaustralian

Awesome post and agree 100% I’m not a fashion blogger by no means so I guess camping, family and music products would possibly be best promoted through me lol but at this time I’m more a sharer of life and try to add some kind of positive to sometimes negative experiences. Great work. Plus this was posted on my bday haha

February 8, 2018 at 2:23 am
    • Reply Siyana

Happy birthday yey 😁😁Thank you for reading this, being yourself is really important but unfortunately some big bloggers lose their identity πŸ˜•

February 8, 2018 at 10:19 am
      • Reply thestubbornaustralian

Thank you!!! I’ll promise you that if I ever make it big I’ll never lose my identity 😁 I’m positive you will be the same too πŸ˜€

February 8, 2018 at 10:41 am
  • Reply sincerelyjudes

Girl your blog is soooo cute!!! I love it, nice work

February 9, 2018 at 4:44 am

Thank you so much!! 😘

February 9, 2018 at 11:03 am
  • Reply Emily May

Love love love! x

February 10, 2018 at 7:03 pm

February 10, 2018 at 7:05 pm
      • Reply Emily May

Please could we do a collaboration? like if you’ve got some time to, it would be really cool πŸ™‚

February 10, 2018 at 7:06 pm
        • Reply Siyana

Oh yes, of course, do you have anything particular in mind?

February 10, 2018 at 7:10 pm